Items Most Likely To Get Damaged During A Move
While moving to a new location, certain items need more care in order to protect them against any potential damage. Glassware, dinnerware, antiques, and collectables are common items that you expect to be damaged when moving. It is important to use the proper packing materials for these fragile possessions such as boxes with double-thick walls, soft packing paper to avoid scratches and plenty of bubble wrap for layering between pieces. If it is possible, keep valuable items with you and transport them yourself during the move. Here are some items that may be at risk because people don’t realize how easily they can be damaged and therefore receive less care when packing for a move.
Lampshades and Lamps – Because of their awkward shapes, lamps are not always properly packed. You should:
- Before packing, remove the bulbs.
- Use a different box for the lampshade (s). Lampshades can be kept together if they fit properly. Take care not to bend or force the shades into small space.
- To keep the lamp base from moving within the box, wrap it in plenty of packing paper.
Electronic Items – Computers, stereo equipment, DVD players, and printers are valuable items that require special care:
- Discard all discs, toner, cartridges, and batteries.
- If possible, use the original boxes.
- Use plenty of bubble wrap to pack the items carefully
- Remote controls, cables, and other accessories should be packed with the equipment.
- Label everything so that you can easily match it to the correct device. Also, to reduce the risk of damage, make sure these items are securely wrapped.
- Packing electronic items together by without significant padding between each item is not recommended. Separate them with towels and blankets.
Books – Books are frequently misunderstood as being simple to transport. But if done incorrectly…
- If you pack them too tightly, the edges will fold, warp, and crease.
- If you pack them too loosely, they will shift around and cause friction damage.
- To avoid damage, alternate the bound edges of stacked books.
- Before packing, valuable books should be wrapped in paper.
Sports Equipment – Sports equipment can be both oddly shaped and expensive – and if not properly secured, can actually cause more damage to other items in the moving van.
- Use original cases or boxes whenever possible.
- Invest in the appropriately sized boxes to protect your sports equipment which can de be damaged.
- To avoid scratches and breakage, wrap items with bubble wrap and place cloth towels in between boxes to avoid friction.
Plants for the home – If your moving company transport plants, then follow these steps:
- Avoid watering your plants a few days before the move to prevent the box from leaking and causing damage to other items in the moving truck.
Tie the loose branches together and provide stakes to support the tall stems.
Large plants should be transported in a large container where their leaves will not come into contact with anything else in the truck.
A reputable moving company such as Charvee Packers and Movers is able to provide you with the tools and materials you’ll need to safely transport all of your belongings to their new location.